Sunday, July 10, 2011

Progress Report of a Cute and Delusional Writer

I keep saying to myself "it's just one of those weeks", but really, it's just one of those lives. I'm not sure why a mother of four is ever expecting her life to quiet down and become less busy. Probably because she's delusional. Also, apparently, cute. At least, according to Deniz Bevan of The Girdle of Melian who passed this award on to me...



This award asks you to list 5 books, movies or TV shows you've experienced in the last year.

TV show: Farscape. My husband and I just finished watching all four seasons together and are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the wrap-up miniseries, The Peacekeeper Wars.

Movie: Ghostbusters. For years my husband was shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, whenever I reminded him that I'd never seen this movie. Finally he brought it home from the library for us to watch together. It was quite good.

Book: The Wise Man's Fear. I was really looking forward to this as I had really loved The Name of the Wind, the first book in this trilogy. But this one was just a major disappointment. It'll take something special in the third book to make me like this series again.

TV show: Castle. I'm not normally a fan of murder mysteries, but we gave this a try because.. well, because of Nathan Fillion. And we were totally surprised, in the best possible way, by the greatness of this show. Can't wait for the show to return in the fall.

Book: The Westing Game. I just reread this kids book yesterday on a whim and it is still as good as I remember it. A really clever murder mystery/ puzzle game.

And I'm passing this award on to Rebecca Kiel, Stephanie Thornton, Michelle Gregory, and Jeanmarie Anaya.

ROW 80 Progress Report



I've made some important strides forward with my world-building this week. My world-building notebook is considerably fuller and I've worked out some of the geographical logistics that were giving me trouble for the story I intend to start writing this week. I intend to dive into the writing of that story tomorrow (1500 words a day for 5 days a week is the goal). It's a story with a "cast of thousands" so today I need to establish a few more of the secondary characters so I don't get stalled on names and such while writing. I think I'll be ready for tomorrow. Beginnings are always the hardest part for me so... *fingers crossed*

I'm really excited to get into it though. This story takes place at the effective beginning of history for the world I'm creating and it's the story that leads to everything else. It opens up the world and with any luck, you'll be able to read it before the year is out. All I need to do is manage to carve out some serious writing time without distractions. Sigh. I am delusional.

16 comments:

  1. 1500 words is a big goal, and I wish you the best! Reminds me of NaNoWriMo, where to "win" you need to write 1667 words a day, 7 days a week, to get to 50,000 words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll nail that beginning! And Castle is a fun, quirky show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best with the WIP. I don't recognise either of the books you mention, though I have seen the programmes. We've recently become hooked on The Big Bang Theory. A LOL experience :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, 1500 is pretty big to start out at. But since the goal is only for 5 days a week, I can play catch up on the weekends if need be.

    Alex, thanks. I still have no idea how I'll begin it. I'm waiting for inspiration to strike.

    Madeleine, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I was just like you - only saw Ghostbusters for the first time a few years ago!
    Sounds like the world building is going great. I'm kinda drooling at the idea of inventing and mapping out a world from scratch... *wipes chin*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, a cast of thousands. My head is spinning at the thought of it. All the best of luck when you start writing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the award. world building, i think, is always the hardest part. best wishes on your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck. Remember, you can always type with your toes while you feed the baby. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deniz, it's great fun. You should give it a try. :)

    Emma, well, "cast of thousands" isn't QUITE accurate. But definitely hundreds, though most will be part of the faceless crowd.

    Michelle, world-building is probably my favorite part. I truly love my made up world.

    L.G., actually, I've gotten pretty good at typing with one hand while feeding him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great progress toward goals, Sarah! I’m jealous of the world-building, I have to admit; it sounds like a lot of fun. I’m sure the inspiration for your beginning will strike soon; if you’re like me, you’ll be in the middle of something with the kids, and have to scribble something on a piece of paper with crayon, but it’ll come!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE Nathan Fillion....:-)
    1500 is a good goal - you can do it!
    I'm self-publishing my middle-grade fantasy, The Christmas Village - it will be out this fall. Come along for the ride if you like.
    Look forward to hearing your progress.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nancy, inspiration usually strikes me in the shower. :)

    Melissa, who doesn't love Nathan Fillion? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sarah-I am a mom of 3 boys and I feel your pain. Everytime I think they are busy and I can sit down and write-a catastrophe of their own making happens! :)
    Beginnings are always the hardest thing for me too. I'm always so glad when the first draft is finished and I can go on to the editing and revising stage.
    I am excited to keep reading about your journey. Thank you for sharing it all.
    And...The Westing Game-LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ah names for secondary characters often more difficult I find - don't want to give them names I like as I might want to use them for major character in another story but they also have to fit in with the world (built) they inhabit - you are better than me I spend most of first drafts with//// and ???? or even~~~~ instead of names while I ponder them drives my freind from forever/editor wild!!!! (no that last wasn't a name just a touch of humour

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on what you've accomplished! I was a pantser and now am becoming a plotter. It's so much more efficient to work out a lot of this stuff ahead of time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck with the story! I've yet to see Castle, but I'm a big Fillion fan so it's only a matter of time. Also, I'm glad you've finally watched Ghostbusters. It's one of those movies that everyone needs to watch :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments, Precious, we appreciates them!