Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Delights of Discovery






My post for the letter "C", regretfully delayed, is below this one.

Today, D is for Discovery.

One of my favorite things about the fantasy genre is the wonderful opportunity for discovery. Living in this modern age, it sometimes feels like there's no mystery left to the world. Nothing new, nothing left to discover. Space is apparently the final frontier, but it's so full of vast spaces of nothing that I find it difficult to be interested.

But transport me to a fantasy world or show me how this world is really full of magic and mystery that modern man is unaware of and I'm hooked. Allow me to explore your imaginary world, to learn as many of its secrets as I can, make me feel like I'm in a real magical place and I can't resist.

A riveting plot, complex characters and thought provoking themes are great, but any genre can give me those. The real reason I read fantasy, in particular epic fantasy, is for the worlds to be discovered.

11 comments:

  1. I am in the middle of discovering my first fantasy world and I LOVE it. I knew I loved creating people, but to create a culture, a country or a whole world is fantastic.

    Jen from http://falling4fiction.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way. I love adding more detail and seeing my world come to life.

      Delete
  2. Agreed! That's why I absolutely love reading fantasy books. It's the discovery of these new worlds that keep me hooked.
    Great A-Z post!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Worldbuilding is really the one essential thing to me in a good fantasy book, I think.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you. Fantasy is just amazing and it is always really fascinating when you can read a book that really transports you to a great realm. Fantasy books are definitely a great way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in complete agreement. Fantasy gives us the opportunity as writers (and as readers) to fully satisfy our imaginations and allow ourselves to take flight.


    Jamie Gibbs
    Fellow A-Z Buddy
    Mithril Wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  5. In some way this kind of discovery scares me - how do you know when you've learned enough about a world? I'd always want to do as much as Tolkien, with the languages and the maps and the thousands of years of history and so on...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the main reason why I love fantasy is because I can be transported away from this world into just some fantastical world. I can just pick up The Lord of the Rings and I'm re-discovering a world that I can get completely immersed in and that I love spending time in. I love reading new fantasy books because I get to discover new worlds that I've never travelled in before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of the things I enjoy most about fantasy as well! I like to escape, get a new perspective and see other worlds through the characters' eyes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just one of the many reasons I love reading fantasy! A recent urban fantasy series I read had such a brialliantly developed world. It was the Kate Daniels series by Iona Andrews, and the setting played just as important a part getting me hooked as everything else did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the whole gamut of speculative fiction (scifi and fantasy). So much there, so many subgenres to explore. Really need more time to read.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, Precious, we appreciates them!