Thursday, November 1, 2012

Yet Another NaNo Post

This is going to be a quick one (though not nearly as quick as last time) to proclaim:

Woah, I am doing NaNoWriMo this year.

This will be my first time. (Be gentle with me, NaNo.) I have to admit that I always thought NaNo was kind of gimmicky and viewed that as a bad thing. But as I grow older and wiser I begin to realize that a gimmick isn't necessarily bad. Our brains are curious machines and sometimes we need to trick them into giving us the results we want. For me, I've had such a long bout of writer's block due to life issues that I finally decided I needed a gimmick to try and get myself back on track. I need to trick my brain into remembering that I'm a writer. NaNo seems like a great opportunity to try that.

So I've spent some time the past few weeks trying to get ready. I worked on getting most of my resource notes into a single notebook for ease of use. Then my son spilled chocolate milk all over that notebook so I'm currently working on another notebook that will be better protected. I've been working out what my overall story arc will be as I write this month and I think I'm satisfied with what I've decided to go for. Unfortunately, I realized this morning that there's a crucial area of research that I totally forgot to complete. I'll probably just have to play catch up with that while I progress through the month.

Il Sigh.

Anyway, wish me luck. I'm going to need it.

15 comments:

  1. You can do it! I wrote my second book during NaNo 2010, so if I can do it, anyone can do it. Sometimes it takes an outside force to kick us in the butt and into action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I feel like the immovable object so I'm betting on NaNo being the unstoppable force. :)

      Delete
  2. Good Luck! I'm doing NaNo as well. This will be my 9th year. It is crazy fun and you get a chance to meet a ton of cool people and best of all you write!! One thing to keep in mind? NaNo is about quantity over quality at first. Get it on paper and then make it pretty during the edits and rewrites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I think it's physically impossible for my not to be concerned for the quality of my words. But then, I'm not really that concerned about winning, as long as I can get back into a habit of writing that's a win for me.

      Delete
  3. Yay! Happy to hear you're participating and glad you recovered from the chocolate milk incident.
    I like NaNo for forcing me to get into a daily excited-by-the-story routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm terrible about routine, hopefully I'll have enough will power this month to change that. I want to be a more responsible writer.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! I hope you write the next best seller :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Ha. Or at least chocolate milk in a cup without a lid. I'm considering it, since I always write first on paper and then type it up later.

      Delete
  6. I try not to do that, but, invariably, I end up with some project that's housed in a notebook that I have to work on when I'm not at home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you all the excellent luck in the world! (Remember to give back what you don't need. ;) )

    ReplyDelete

Comments, Precious, we appreciates them!