Friday, February 25, 2011

Ancient Egyptian Quote of the Week

Today's quote is an excerpt of the Morning Song that would be sung in an Egyptian Temple by the Priests and Choristers as the sealed sanctuary that holds the cult statue of the god is opened when the sun rises.

Awake (O great god) in peace, wake peacefully.

Wake peacefully, wake beautifully, in peace! Wake to life, oh (god of this city)! The gods rise early to honor your soul, oh august winged disk shining in the sky! It is you who break the seal in the heavens and spread gold dust over the earth, who come to life in the east and vanish in the west and sleep in (your temple) each day.

Your eyes spread flame, your eyes light the darkness! Your brows wake in beauty, oh radiant visage that knows no anger!

May you wake peacefully... and spread gold dust over the earth.
(Quoted from Serge Sauneron's The Priests of Ancient Egypt.)

1 comment:

  1. I'm racking my brain, but I really don't think I've ever seen this. I knew about the prayer, but I think I would have remembered this one- it's beautiful! I love the gold dust imagery.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, Precious, we appreciates them!