Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Rather Pathetic Blogfest Entry

Blogfest! So, when I put aside my shyness to participate in the Bernard Pivot Blogfest I realized how fun they are. Now I've lost all my inhibitions and signed up for several. I had to make myself a list... except I have a bad feeling that I've signed up for one which I proceeded to totally forget about. Hopefully I can figure that out before it's too late.

Anyway! Today I've signed up for the Nifty Fifty blogfest held by Anstice (Tizzy) Potts at the Impossible Dreams blog. The idea is to write a post that has something to do with the number 50 in honour of her reaching 50 followers. Easy, right? Well, I have to admit, I am not interesting or creative and had a hard time thinking of something "fifty-ish" to write about.

But Tizzy happens to share a last name with my maternal grandparents, whom I love very much, which made me think about my grandfather. My Grandpa Potts was like a father to me but unfortunately passed away many years ago. They never reached their own 50th anniversary, though I know they would have if not for his illness. So in honour of Tizzy's 50 followers and my grandparents' 50th anniversary that never was I would like to share one of my favorite Traditional Irish songs. It's a really charming look at a little Irish couple who have reached their Golden Jubilee.

The Golden Jubilee

Way down in the County Kerry, in a place they call Tralee,
A fine old couple they lived there called Kate and Pat Mc Gee,
They were going to have a party, on their golden jubilee,
And Kate says she to Pat Mc Gee, come listen here to me.

[Chorus]
Put on your old knee breeches ,and your coat of em'rald green,
Take off that hat me darling Pat, put on your old caubeen,
For today's our golden wedding,and we want them, all to know,
The way we looked when we were young,just fifty years ago.

Ah well I do remember,when we danced on the village green,
You held me in your arms dear Pat,and called me your colleen,
Your hair was like the ravens wing,but now it's turning grey,
Come over here old sweetheart dear,and hear what I have to say.

[Repeat Chorus]

Ah well I do remember when first I was your bride,
In the little chapel yonder there where we sat side by side,
Oh good things we had many,of troubles we had few,
Come over here old sweetheart dear,and here's what we must do.

[Repeat Chorus]




And here's a video of The Irish Tenors, some of my favorite singers, performing it. (Ha! I figured out how to embed the video all by myself!)

7 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah, thanks for taking part in my blogfest. That's really interesting about your grandparents. I liked the song you chose, they lyrics are so sweet. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a sweet tribute. And make sure you remember to read my "U" entry in Blogging from A to Z on April 25th. I wrote it last night and addressed what you talked about in your post today.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice tribute and I enjoyed the song. Glad you are being less shy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lov e all things Irish--I do. I tried to get my daughter to take Irish dance a couple of yers ago, but the poor girl is really uncoordinated. Maybe we'll try again when she's a bit older.

    Nice to bump into you in this big ol' blogosphere. Nice entry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was lucky enough to marry into an Irish family and have come to love all things Irish as well. Especially their music.

    Interesting thing, I just noticed that in the song I posted the word "caubeen" (which is a type of hat) comes from the same word, caba, that my last name, McCabe comes from. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that's a sweet ode to your grandparents! I'm an Irish gal myself. If you love Ireland and blogfests, I am hosting a St. Patty's Day blogfest with my friend Colene.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely tribute to your grandparents. Please don't be shy - you have great things to say!

    Nifty 50 Blogfest

    ReplyDelete

Comments, Precious, we appreciates them!