Monday, February 21, 2011

Looking for Wisdom and Guidance

I only have time for a short, halfhearted post this morning because I have a daughter who might have tonsillitis and needs to go to the doctor. When will winter be over???

But I would like to ask a question of the more experienced bloggers out there.

How much do you talk about your WIP on your blog?

I assume for all the writers out there that you have a WIP, maybe more than one, and maybe you have finished works that are as yet unpublished. I'm working on my first novel and I'm excited about it. I think I've got lots of really cool ideas and can really make something of them. (Don't worry, the hyper-critical part of me will kick in when I actually get those ideas down on paper in words.) So I have the urge to talk about it... a lot. I want to discuss my cool plot ideas, my characters, my world...

But I am also afraid to put that kind of thing up publicly on the internet. I've had ideas stolen before and it's not a good feeling. It's like getting punched in the stomach. And I really love some of the ideas I've been getting lately.

Plus, there's the question of, how much do I want to give away? By talking about it will I interest people or bore them? How much information about my story would be too much?

How do you talk about your writing?

5 comments:

  1. I've not heard of anyone's ideas being stolen, so I wouldn't worry about that.
    Some people talk a lot about their current project and some don't. I guess you could over-saturate everyone. I don't talk much about mine now that I'm revising a sequel to my book. I guess everyone has to determine their own preference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once worried about that, but not anymore. Noone can write my plot the way I can. I have done a lot about my book on my blog. I have done character interviews and introductions to many characters, including minor ones. I have done chapters and excerpts. Some people like them and some don't. I don't have a ton of followers yet, so I can't be sure of anything much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oo, just reread my post and had to fix it.

    I don’t write about my plot or concept but I do write about the aspects of my work. I hope your daughter feels better soon and it’s not tonsillitis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah McCabe. i found you at Christine's blog, and see that you already know Alex. i'm a mom of 3, write fantasy, and have self-published. kudos to you for plugging away at writing.

    i think you post as much or as little of your WIP as you're comfortable with. i always feel strange when i talk about mine ("oh great," my readers will say. "another post about her book."). but we're all here to support each other and we all know that we're writers, so of course we're going to talk about our stories.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, Precious, we appreciates them!