Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Odds and Ends

In Which our Author Attempts to Write a Sensible Post but Probably Fails

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the idea of blogging without the A to Z Challenge again so here's a post of random stuff that I'm slapping together and calling Content. 


This great book blog Should be Reading does some really fun daily bookish memes. Today's is Teaser Tuesday in which participants posts two random sentences (without spoilers) from the book they are currently reading. 

"King Scyphus said, "Cowards! I will battle Taborlin with wizardry and best him!"


Blogfests!  I just can't resist. I'll be participating in Rachel Morgan and Cally Jackson's Power of Tension blogfest which is on May 23-27. The idea is to post an excerpt of up to 300 words from something you've written that drips with tension. Prizes include Amazon vouchers and interviews on the hosting sites or chapter 1 beta reads by the hosts. Sounds like fun!

Soon after that is Alex J. Cavanaugh's It's All Fun and Games blogfest in which participants will list their three favorite games and you can learn just exactly how much of a huge geek I am.

PK Hrezo posted this questionaire type meme yesterday with an invitation to all her readers to answer the questions in kind.Be prepared, dear readers, to enter the dark recesses of my mind. Will either of us ever be the same again?

If you could go back in time and relive one moment, what would it be? 

That's a tough one. I'm assuming that "moment" doesn't literally mean "moment" but more like "episode". I mean, what would be the point of reliving a single moment?

There was a particularly good weekend that my (at the time) future husband and I spent together in the City. We went to the park (Central) and The Met and got lost trying to find The Strand bookstore and was that the first time I ever had Mimi's Pizza? Because Mimi's is the best pizza ever anywhere. Anyway, it was just one of those magical times you spend when you're young and in love and there are no hardships or responsibilities yet.
If you could go back in time and change one thing, what would it be?

I'd go back to my summer in Egypt when I got to visit the Valley of the Kings. It was an amazing place and I saw several incredible tombs. But King Tut's tomb you had to pay a special fee to go into. I was running low on money and I was young and concerned with how many souvenirs I would be able to buy. So I didn't pay it and I didn't go in. I have regretted that ever since.

What movie/TV character do you most resemble in personality?

Right now I would love to be able to say Delenn from Babylon 5 because she's just perfect. But in honesty, I'd say probably more like Aeryn Sun from Farscape with her repressed emotions and tough exterior. If only I had the totally awesome combat skills to go along with it.

If you could push one person off a cliff and get away with it, who would it be?

The right thing to say (if pushing someone off a cliff could ever be considered right) is probably Hitler. But I'm going to be selfish and say pre-LOTR movies Peter Jackson. Keep his grubby mitts off my beloved stories. 

Name one habit you want to change in yourself:

I'm the most horrible procrastinator. I would love to be able to consider what I need to do and then JUST DO IT instead of making excuses and putting everything off indefinitely. 

Describe yourself in one word: over-analytical

Describe the person who named you in this meme in one word: lovely

Why do you blog? Answer in one sentence: I have an irresistible desire to be a part of a creative community where I can share my daily struggles and thoughts and achievements. 

There you have it. I'd love to hear your own answers to these questions. 


I am struggling a bit with what kinds of posts to write now that April is over, other than the no doubt myriad blogfests I will continue to sign up for because I can't help myself. I'm still new to this and not sure how to balance more intellectual stuff about writing and books, etc., with more personal posts. May is probably going to be a bit haphazard as I figure out exactly how I want to do this blogging thing. Hopefully I won't scare all you lovely people away.





 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for plugging my blogfest! And I think you did well with the Challenge prompts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you do a lovely job at your blogging (or a grand job which the Irish use as often as they do lovely). =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm struggling a bit with the post A to Z challenge blues as well. I think we're both still fairly new to blogging and just have to feel our way through. You obviously have strong opinions about fantasy, so you might start writing about that.

    And I would catch Peter Jackson in a giant air-filled mattress if you pushed him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex, I'm looking forward to the blogfest.

    Donna, thanks so much.

    L.G., yes, I intend to do an exploratory series about the nature of fantasy. And re: Peter Jackson. Curses, foiled again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great answer to why you blog - that's exactly how I feel. (Oh, and I don't much like the movie versions either :-))
    Love your mother's day post, by the way!

    ReplyDelete

Comments, Precious, we appreciates them!